Collection Finding Aid

Menu

Guide to the Watts School of Nursing Records, 1975-2013 (AR.0162)

Abstract

Watts School of Nursing (SON), formerly Watts Hospital Training School for Nurses, is North Carolina's oldest nursing school, established by George W. Watts in 1895. In 2019, Watts SON became Watts College of Nursing and their long-standing diploma program transitioned to a baccalaureate program in January 2020. Types of materials include nursing student composites, photographs of Watts Hospital, and a certificate. Materials date from 1975 to 2013.

Descriptive Summary

Call Number
AR.0162
Title
Watts School of Nursing Records
Date
1975-2013
Creator
Watts School of Nursing.
Extent
5.5 Linear Feet (3 flat boxes, 5 map folders)
Repository
Duke University Medical Center Archives

Series Quick Links

Collection Overview

Contains nursing student composites, photographs of Watts Hospital, and a certificate pertaining to Durham's Watts School of Nursing. Materials date from 1975 to 2013.

Arrangement Note

Organized into the following series: Records, 1975-2013.

Restrictions on Access & Use

Some collections are stored off site and must be requested at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval.

Access Restrictions

None.

Use Restrictions

Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Contents of the Collection

1. Records, 1975-2013

Series Scope and Contents: Contains nursing student composites, photographs of Watts Hospital, and a certificate pertaining to Durham's Watts School of Nursing. Materials date from 1975 to 2013.

Composites, 1975, 1975
Box Map Folder 1
Composites, 1978-1979, 1978-1979
Box Map Folder 1
Composites, 1979-1980, 1979-1980
Box Map Folder 1
Composites, 1980-1981, 1980-1981
Box Map Folder 1
Composites, 1981-1982, 1981-1982
Box Map Folder 2
Composites, 1982-1983, 1982-1983
Box Map Folder 2
Composites, 1983-1984, 1983-1984
Box Map Folder 2
Composites, 1984-1985, 1984-1985
Box Map Folder 2
Composites, 1989-1991, 1989-1991
Box Map Folder 3
Composites, Class of 1990, 1990
Box 1
Composites, December 1992, 1992
Box Map Folder 3
Composites, June 1993, 1993
Box Map Folder 3
Composites, December 1993 [File 1 of 2], 1993
Box Map Folder 3
Composites, December 1993 [File 2 of 2], 1993
Box 1
Composites, December 1994, 1994
Box Map Folder 3
Composites, June 1995, 1995
Box Map Folder 4
Composites, December 1995, 1995
Box Map Folder 4
Composites, May 1996, 1996
Box Map Folder 4
Composites, December 1996, 1996
Box Map Folder 4
Composites, June 1997, 1997
Box Map Folder 5
Composites, December 1997, 1997
Box Map Folder 5
Composites, May 1998, 1998
Box Map Folder 5
Composites, May 1999, 1999
Box Map Folder 5
Composites, December 1999, 1999
Box Map Folder 5
Composites, May 2000, 2000
Box 1
Composites, December 2000, 2000
Box 1
Composites, May 2001, 2001
Box 1
Composites, December 2001, 2001
Box 1
Composites, May 2002, 2002
Box 1
Composites, December 2002, 2002
Box 1
Composites, May 2003, 2003
Box 1
Composites, December 2003, 2003
Box 1
Composites, May 2004, 2004
Box 1
Composites, December 2004, 2004
Box 1
Composites, May 2005, 2005
Box 1
Composites, December 2005, 2005
Box 1
Composites, May 2006, 2006
Box 1
Composites, December 2006, 2006
Box 1
Composites, May 2007, 2007
Box 2
Composites, December 2007, 2007
Box 2
Composites, May 2008, 2008
Box 2
Composites, December 2008, 2008
Box 2
Composites, May 2009, 2009
Box 2
Composites, December 2009, 2009
Box 2
Composites, May 2010, 2010
Box 2
Composites, December 2010, 2010
Box 2
Composites, May 2011, 2011
Box 2
Composites, December 2011, 2011
Box 2
Composites, May 2012, 2012
Box 2
Composites, May 2013, 2013
Box 2
Photograph, Watts Hospital ward [Folder 1 of 2], undated
Box 3
Photograph, Watts Hospital ward [Folder 2 of 2], undated
Box 3
Photograph, portrait of J.B. Duke, undated
Box 3
Certificate, Watts Student Government Association, 1993
Box 3
Photograph, Watts Hospital (Durham, N.C.) [Folder 1 of 5], undated
Box 3
Photograph, Watts Hospital (Durham, N.C.) [Folder 2 of 5], undated
Box 3
Photograph, Watts Hospital (Durham, N.C.) [Folder 3 of 5], undated
Box 3
Photograph, Watts Hospital (Durham, N.C.) [Folder 4 of 5], undated
Box 3
Photograph, Watts Hospital (Durham, N.C.) [Folder 5 of 5], undated
Box 3

Historical Note

Watts Hospital was established by George W. Watts in 1895 in Durham, North Carolina. The hospital was built on a four-acre tract of land at the intersection of Guess Road (now Buchanan Boulevard) and Main Street. The 22-bed hospital consisted of a central administrative building flanked by two patient wings, one for men and one for women. Laundry and autopsy rooms were housed in the hospital's basement. In 1895, Watts donated the hospital, along with an endowment of $50,000, to Durham County. Watts Hospital operated as a private segregated hospital that served only Durham's white citizens, with many of its beds reserved for charity patients. Central to the mission of Watts Hospital was nursing education. Watts Hospital Training School for Nurses began in 1895 as a two-year diploma program, its first graduate receiving her nursing degree in 1897.

In 1907, George W. Watts decided to build a new Watts Hospital on a 56-acre tract of land north of Trinity College of off Durham's New Macadam Road (later Broad Street) to accommodate Durham's growing population. The new hospital opened in December 1909 and cost a million dollars (half for the building and half for an endowment). During World War I, several Watts Hospital nurses volunteered for overseas military service. In 1926 the hospital was enlarged with the Valinda Beale Watts Pavilion. In 1931, the hospital opened an outpatient clinic, free to charity patients except for laboratory fees. In the 1930s and 1940s, financial strain resulted in more crowded conditions in the hospital and overwork and underpay for the employees. Watts Hospital became public in 1953. In 1956, Watts Hospital Training School for Nurses became the first diploma program in North Carolina to achieve National League for Nursing accreditation.

By the early 1960s, Watts Hospital was overcrowded and outdated, while Durham's African American Hospital, Lincoln Hospital, was even more ill-equipped to meet local health care needs. At this time, African Americans were admitted to Watts Hospital on a limited basis and a plan to build a new integrated Watts Hospital was proposed. This proposal was ultimately defeated by both Durham's African American citizens, who feared that the plan would not adequately meet their needs and that they would lose Lincoln Hospital, and by Durham's white citizens, who feared integration. Watts Hospital closed in 1976 when Durham County General Hospital opened. At this time, Watts Hospital Training School for Nurses moved to Durham Regional Hospital and was renamed Watts School of Nursing (SON), becoming part of the Duke University Health System.

In 1980, North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics opened on the grounds of Watts Hospital's 1909 campus. In 2004 Watts SON developed an articulation agreement with the University of Mount Olive, which ended in 2019. In 2007 Watts SON was relocated to a facility on Coasdaile Drive in Durham, North Carolina. In 2019, Watts SON became Watts College of Nursing and their long-standing diploma program transitioned to a baccalaureate program in January 2020.

Subject Headings

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Watts School of Nursing Records, Duke University Medical Center Archives.

Acquisitions Information

Accession A2019.064 (transferred by Peggy Walters, July 2019)

Processing Information

Processed by Archives intern Caroline Waller under the supervision of Lucy Waldrop: July 2019

Related Material

  • Eleanor B. Easley Papers, 1945-1993
  • H. Max Schiebel Oral History Interviews
  • Larry Suitt Oral History Interview
  • North Carolina League of Nursing Education
  • Photograph Collection, 1928-2008
  • William G. Anlyan Papers, 1930-2015