1890 | 1920 | 1930 | 1940 | 1950 | 1960 | 1970 | 1980 | 1990 | 2000 | 2010
1971 - Comprehensive Cancer Center established

The Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center becomes one of the nation’s first cancer centers to be established with the passage of the National Cancer Act. It is designated a "comprehensive" cancer center by the National Cancer Institute in 1973.

1972 - North Carolina Cerebral Palsy Hospital renamed

North Carolina Cerebral Palsy Hospital renamed Lenox Baker Children’s Hospital.

1973 - Expansion continues

The Sands Research Building opened

1973 - Eye-center opens

The Eye Center, now the Wadsworth Eye Center, opened and was dedicated on 8 November.

1975 - New location for Medical Library

The Seeley G. Mudd Building housing the Medical Center Library opened.

1975 - Research building expansion

The Jones Research Building opened.

1978 - Cancer research

The Morris Cancer Research Building opened.