|Size:||3.5 linear feet 2 record storage boxes; 1 document case|
|Abstract:||Highland Hospital was a residential psychiatric hospital located in Asheville, N.C. and partly operated by Duke University from 1944 through 1980. Collection contains agreements, deeds, sketches, newsletters, correspondence, brochures, publications, invitations, programs, and financial statements. Major subjects in this collection include Robert S. Carroll, Richard S. Lyman, and the Duke University Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences.|
|Creator:||Highland Hospital (Asheville, N.C.) .|
|Repository||Duke University Medical Center Archives|
Information for Users
- Access Restrictions
- Portions of this collection may be restricted.
- Copyright Notice
- Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Preferred Citation
- [Identification of item], Highland Hospital papers, Duke University Medical Center Archives.
- Acquisitions Information
- Acquired; circa 1975-1980
- Sensitive Materials Statement
- Collections may contain Medical Center Administrative records. These include records of the officers of the University, as defined in the Bylaws, the deans of schools and colleges, and departments, institutes, and other offices as designated by the President. For a period of twenty-five years from the origin of the material, permission in writing from the director of the office of record and the Medical Center Archivist is required for use. After twenty-five years, records that have been processed may be consulted with the permission of the Medical Center Archivist.
- Collection may contain Records of the Board of Trustees of the Duke University Medical Center. These include minutes and supporting documentation of the Board, its Executive Committee, and standing and ad hoc committees, and reports, studies, and the like presented solely to the Board. Records which have been existence for at least fifty years are available for scholarly research with the permission of the Medical Center Archivist. Access to records which have been in existence for less than fifty years shall be granted only by special permission, in writing, of the Medical Center Board of Trustees.
The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings and Medical Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collectionsuch as folders or items.
- Carroll, Robert S. (Robert Sproul), 1869-1949
- Duke University. Dept. of Psychiatry.
- Duke University. Medical Center.
- Lyman, Richard Sherman
Highland Hospital, founded in 1904, was a residential psychiatric hospital located in Asheville, N.C. The hospital was planned to consist of several buildings, each equipped to serve the needs of parts of the patient population. The hospital advertised itself as "an institution employing all rational methods in the treatment of nervous habit, and mental cases: especially emphasizing the natural curative agents -- rest, climate, water, diet, work, and play". Staff also treated drug and alcohol abuse cases.
The hospital was gifted to Duke University in 1939 by Robert Sproul Carroll. With that gift and the appropriation of $175,000 on January 19, 1940 by the Rockefeller Foundation, the Department of Neuropsychiatry at Duke University (now the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences) was established on September 1, 1940 by Richard S. Lyman. Early directorship of Highland Hospital included both Robert S. Carroll (medical director) and Richard S. Lyman (professor of psychiatry), a business manager, and a secretary-treasurer. Ten resident physicians were employed as psychotherapists, nurses, dieticians, avocational therapists, occupational therapists, and attendants. Over one-hundred other workers handled other duties. During the 1940s, members of Duke University School of Medicine faculty worked as members of the staff at Highland Hospital (Asheville, N.C.). Duke University assumed directorship of Highland Hospital in 1944 from its founder, Dr. Robert S. Carroll.
Around 1944, Highland Hall, Central Building, Oak Lodge, and Brushwood Bungalow were all available for patients. Patient room and suites were located within Highland Hall. The Central Bulding contained an assembly hall, hydrotherapy and culinary departments, offices, and examination/treatment rooms. Oak Lodge was created mainly for male patients: it offered a large clubroom, woodsy views, and large porches. Brushwood Bungalow was intended for patients to occupy private, exclusive suites. An on-site greenhouse was touted for its usefulness in therapy: "groups find instructive and satistfying occupation in planting and caring for growing beauty, and in the pleasure elicited among the hospital family by the colorful, fragrant products of their labor". The Homewood offered a place for convalescing patients to receive special education and close observation.
Highland Hospital functioned as an exclusive treatment center for privileged Americans, including some celebrities. In 1980, Highland Hospital was sold by Duke University to Psychiatric Institutes of America.
Series Quick Links
Financial and Historical Records, 1934-1980
Correspondence, R. Charman Carroll
Acquisitions and Sale Records, 1939-1980